I. What’s What in Health Policy >> B. State Government >> State Executive Branch (last updated 12.8.16)
- State Government Websites (1 link per state).
- State Administration and Finance (NASCIO). Site provides links to executive branch administrative departments, including budgeting, in all states.
- Governor (state executive office) (Ballotpedia). Includes links to Office of the Governor in all states, other key facts and name/party of incumbent.
- Lieutenant Governor (state executive office) (Ballotpedia). Includes links to Office of the Lieutenant Governor in all states, other key facts and name/party of incumbent.
- Governors’ State of the State Speeches
- State Attorneys General.
- Attorney General (state executive office) (Ballotpedia). Includes links to Office of the Attorney General in all states, other key facts and name/party of incumbent.
- Master List of Attorneys General (National Association of Attorneys General). Up-to-date list. Another portion of the site contains background info on terms, duties, and governance of state attorney generals.
- Health, Human Services and Welfare Agencies (NASCIO). Site provides links to health, aging and social services agencies. Some states have 5-6 entries while others have none, so this falls well short of being a comprehensive listing.
- Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Agencies (NASCIO). Site provides links to various environment-related agencies; listings are incomplete.
- Regulation and Licensing Agencies (NASCIO). Site provides links to various health-related agencies, including occupational licensure agencies, insurance departments, and those regulating radiation hazards; listings are incomplete.
- CLEAR: Directory of State and Regional Licensing Boards
- State Health Agencies (George Washington University). Site provides links to each state’s lead health agency.
- State Health Departments (National Health Information Center).
- State Medicaid Agencies
- State Insurance Agencies
- Insurance Commissioner (state executive office) (Ballotpedia). Includes links to state insurance commissioner in all states, other key facts and name/party of incumbent.
- State Insurance Departments (NAIC)
- State Agencies on Aging
- State Mental Health Agencies (NASMHPD)
- State Workers’ Compensation Agencies (NC Industrial Commission). Site provides links to workers’ compensation agencies in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
- Federation of State Medical Boards
- State Physician Disciplinary Boards (MedAccess). Site provides address and phone of each state disciplinary board.
- State Pesticide Regulatory Agencies
- Census State Data Centers. Centers provide training/technical assistance in accessing and using Census data for research, administration, planning and policymaking by government, business, universities and others.
- Registry of State-Level Efforts to Integrate Health Information (DHHS). Site developed by Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation at DHHS under contract with Lewin Group. Site provides a) taxonomy of state health data integration activities; b) state profiles & contacts; and c) search site by topic area.
National Professional Organizations
- National Governors Association (NGA)
- National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO)
- National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers And Treasurers (NASACT)
- National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG)
- National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO)
- National Association of State Charity Officials (NASCO).
- National Alliance of State and Territorial AIDS Directors (NASTAD)
- National Association of State Medicaid Directors (NASMD)
- American Public Human Services Association
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officers (ASTHO). ASTHO is the national nonprofit organization representing the public health agencies of the United States, the U.S. Territories, and the District of Columbia, as well as the 120,000 public health professionals these agencies employ. ASTHO members, the chief health officials of these jurisdictions, are dedicated to formulating and influencing sound public health policy and to assuring excellence in state-based public health practice.
- Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists
- National Assembly on School-Based Health Care (NASBHC)
- National Association of Health Data Organizations (NAHDO)
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
- National Association for State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD)
- National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors
- National Association of Community Health Centers
- National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurer
- National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO)
- National Organization of Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Associations (NOLHGA)
- Healthcare Legal, Legislative, Compliance and Regulatory Resources