I. What’s What in Health Policy >> A. Federal Government >> Federal Legislative Branch >> House of Representatives (last updated 12.8.16)
Standing House of Representatives Committees
- Agriculture. Jurisdiction includes Food Stamps, WIC and other nutrition programs; and food inspection.
- Appropriations. Jurisdiction includes all discretionary funding for federal programs.
- Armed Services. Jurisdiction includes all military funding, including military health programs (CHAMPUS).
- Budget. This committee establishes nonbinding target amounts for all health spending.
- Energy and Commerce. Jurisdiction includes health authorizations and reauthorizations, including Medicaid, Medicare Part B (shared with Ways and Means), public health, and health facilities. Key subcommittees which cover health policy issues include: a) Commerce, Consumer Protection and Competitiveness; b) Health and the Environment; and c) Transportation and Hazardous Materials. Minority member page.
- Education and the Workforce. Jurisdiction includes worker safety, workforce issues such as medical leave, higher education student assistance programs, and programs affecting family health including child abuse/domestic violence, Older Americans Act and nutrition programs for elderly. Key subcommittees which cover health policy issues include: a) Occupational Health and Safety; b) Workforce Protection; c) Employer-Employee Relations; d) Postsecondary Training & Lifelong Education; and e) Early Childhood, Youth and Families.
- Judiciary. Jurisdiction includes antitrust; health fraud and tort reform.
- Oversight and Government Reform. Jurisdiction includes Federal Employee Health Benefits Plan (FEHBP), consumer product safety, environmental protection, and management of all human resource agencies including DHHS and Veterans Affairs. Key subcommittees which cover health policy issues include: a) Civil Service; b) National Economic Growth, Natural Resources and Regulatory Affairs; and c) Human Resources.
- Small Business. Jurisdiction includes how healthcare policies may inhibit or promote economic growth and job creation by small businesses. Key subcommittee is Health and Technology.
- Veterans’ Affairs. Jurisdiction includes VA health and rehabilitation. Key subcommittee which covers health policy issues is Subcommittee on Health.
- Ways and Means. Jurisdiction includes taxes, Medicare Part A (hospital) and Medicare Part B (shared with Commerce).