VII. Key Issues: Regulation & Reform >> C. Health Reform >> Components of Health Reform >> Public Sector Programs >> Medicaid Reform (Last update: 12.1.15)
Comprehensive Medicaid Reform Proposals
Think Tank/Academic Proposals
- ALEC (2002). Richard Teske. Abolishing the Medicaid Ghetto: Putting “Patients First” (Washington, DC: American Legislative Exchange Council, 2002).
- CATO (2010). Chris Edwards. Medicaid Reforms. CATO Institute, September 2010.
- NCPA (2006). Opportunities for State Medicaid Reform.
- NCPA (2007). Chapter V. Ten Steps to Reforming Medicaid. Handbook on State Medicaid Reform.
- Pauly, Mark V. and Thomas W. Granneman (2010). Medicaid Everyone Can Count On: Public Choices for Equity and Efficiency (Washington, DC: AEI Press, 2010).
Guaranteed Income Proposals
Various guaranteed income proposals by libertarian scholars include provisions to handle medical care for poor families.
Incremental Medicaid Reform Proposals
Federal Legislative Proposals
- H.R. 4160, the State Health Flexibility Act. Introduced by Rep. Todd Rokita (R-IN), the bill would block grant Medicaid and S-CHIP to the states.
- Medicaid explained: How would block grants work? (Christine Vestal, Stateline, 4.18.11)
Impact of Medicaid Reform
- Michael Bond. Reforming Medicaid in Florida. James Madison Institute, Backgrounder No. 65, April 2010.
- Joan Alker, Jack Hoadley, and Jennifer Thompson, Florida’s Experience with Medicaid Reform: What Has Been Learned in the First Two Years (Washington, DC: Georgetown University, Health Policy Institute, October 2008).
- Agency for Health Care Administration. Florida Medicaid: Year 4 Draft Annual Report (2010).
- Medicaid Reform (Health Affairs search)