- Total Hospitals. AHA lists 5,708 hospitals in 2007 inclusive of all types of hospitals and ownership , including 4,897 community hospitals, 213 federal government hospitals, 444 nonfederal psychiatric hospitals, 136 nonfederal long-term care hospitals and 18 hospital units of institutions (such as prison hospitals, college infirmaries, etc.) (AHA Fast Facts). The foregoing is a comprehensive count of hospitals, as it includes all hospitals accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations or certified as a Medicare provider, regardless of membership in the American Hospital Association (AHA Guide).
- Community Hospitals in Health Systems. 2,730 in 2007.
- Community Hospitals in Networks. 1,472 in 2007.
- AHA. Fast Facts on US Hospitals. Chicago: American Hospital Association, AHA Resource Center, Updated April 13, 2009. [Full Text (html)]
- AHA. AHA Guide: Hospital Listing Requirements, from 2007 AHA Guide. Chicago: American Hospital Association. [Full Text (pdf)]
- AHA. AHA Hospital Statistics, 2009. Chicago: American Hospital Association. The American Hospital Association conducts an annual survey of hospitals in the United States; these data are reported in AHA Hospital Statistics. The definitive source for aggregate hospital data and trend analysis, AHA Hospital Statistics includes current and historical data on utilization, personnel, revenue, expenses, managed care contracts, community health indicators, physician models, and much more. [Details]
- Hospitals (Health Affairs topic page)
- Kaiser Health News. Hospitals.