V. Key Issues: Population Health >> D. Environmental Health (last updated: 3.18.16)
- 1 Environmental Law
- 2 Environmental Justice
- 3 Global Warming
- 4 Toxic Chemicals Control
- 5 Air Quality Protection
- 6 Water Quality Protection
- 7 Hazardous Waste Control
- 8 Radiation Control
- 9 Food Safety
- 10 Resources
- 11 Links
- Environmental Compliance Assistance Center. Provides information on environmental laws.
- EPA. Cost of Illness Handbook. This web page provides electronic access to the COI Handbook. It gives regulatory analysts a quick and resource-saving estimate of the lower bound cost of medical care for a number of environmentally-related illnesses; specifically, it provides information on the per capita incremental direct medical costs associated with the various illnesses linked to environmental pollutants. The site contains cost data for numerous cancers, developmental diseases and disabilities, respiratory diseases, acute diseases, and additional illnesses.
- GAO. Environmental Protection: EPA’s Science & Technology Funds.
- Political Calculations. Mapping Death by Natural Hazard in the U.S. This map shows mortality for 10 FEMA regions forwinter weather, heat waves, drought, lightning, earthquakes. hurricanes, wildfires and similar causes..
- North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center. Links to OEM resources.
- Hardin Library for the Health Sciences, University of Iowa. Hardin MD: Environmental Links.
- USDHHS healthfinder®. Links to environmental health.
Federal Executive Branch
Environmental Policy Research Organizations
- See Environmental PROs under Policy Research Organizations.
- Competitive Enterprise Institute
Pro-market, public policy group. Site includes news and electronic newsletter, CEI UpDate.
- Envirolink Network
EnviroLink is a non-profit group whose mission is to unite environmental groups. This site is one of largest Web resources, including Sustainable Earth Library, news/data/bulletin boards/chat rooms and extensive links.
- Environmental Defense Fund
Advocacy group with comprehensive site.
- Environmental Health Center (National Safety Council)
Provides information on lead, air quality, hazardous chemicals and links.
- Environmental Law Institute
Mission is to advance environmental protection by improving laws, policy and management. Site provides information on environmental justice and other issues.
- Environmental Working Group (EWG)
EWG is a non-profit research organization providing information on environmental topics, including water system violations and wetlands loss. Topics can be searched by state.
Activist environmental advocacy group.
- The Heritage Foundation. Heritage Foundation Papers on the Environment.
- John Denver’s Windstar Foundation
- National Association of Physicians for the Environment
Site includes fact sheets and information on UV index, news releases.
- National Library for the Environment (Committee for the National Institute for the Environment)
CNIE’s mission is to improve scientific basis for making decisions on environmental issues. The Library provides objective, scientifically sound information on environmental issues, including all Congressional Research Service reports on such issues, Encyclopedia of the Environment and In-Depth Issues.
- National Resources Defense Council
Permits e-mail queries to environmental experts and links to other sites.
- National Wildlife Federation
- Political Economy Research Center (environmental health)
Market-oriented think tank conducting research and policy analysis on endangered species, forestry, fisheries, mines, parks, public land property rights, Superfund, water, wildlife and environmental education.
- Sierra Club
Largest grass-roots environmental group in U.S.
- World Resources Institute (Washington, DC)
Comprehensive environmental information source.
- World Wildlife Fund (Washington, DC)
Comprehensive environmental information source.
- Academic Info: Online Environmental Science Degree Programs. Searchable directory; programs can be searched by degree level, school category (e.g., Health & Medicine, Business & MBA), and subject (e.g., Health Administration, Public Health, Sociology).
- Online Public Health Degrees.
- The Vermont Law School’s Environmental Law Center is home to the Institute for Energy and the Environment, Environmental Tax Policy Institute, Climate Legacy Initiative, Land Use Institute, Partnership for Environmental Law in China, and Environmental and Natural Resources Law Clinic.
- International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
Journal listed at “On-line Libraries” under “Environmental Sciences.” Full text available for subscribers only.
- Journal of Environmental Medicine
- Environmental Health Perspective
- Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health. Journal available through “Browse” feature of “Research Journals.”
- North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center. This listserv provides free, electronic, international forum for Occupational & Environmental Medicine (OEM), including news and discussion about OEM (media, scientific publications, regulations, legal cases), resources such as (grants, jobs, websites, conferences) and peer-review and consensus opportunities. An archive provides searchable access to all broadcast content from 1993.
- The Earth Times
Provides environmental news and information.
- Environmental Health News
- Environmental News Network (supersite)
Offers news from various sources and free e-mail newsletter.