- 1 General Information Sources
- 2 Aging
- 3 AIDS
- 4 Burden of Illness
- 5 Determinants of Health
- 6 Environment/Sustainable Development
- 7 Family and Reproductive Health
- 8 Global Warming
- 9 Health Expenditures
- 10 Health Promotion
- 11 Health Technology
- 12 Malnutrition
- 13 Poverty and Health
- 14 Public Health
- 15 Tobacco
- 16 Water and Sanitation
General Information Sources
- International Issues (Health Affairs topic page)
- World Health Report 2004: Health Systems Improving Performance (WHO)
- World Health Report: Links to previous years (1995-2003)
- Health in the Americas (PAHO)
- International Statistics
- HumanProgress.org. Maintains data on longitudinal global trends since 1950 in health and other measures of human progress
- Long-Term Global Demographic Trends: Reshaping the Geopolitical Landscape (CIA)
- Maintaining Prosperity in an Ageing Society (OECD)
- Policy Implications of Ageing (OECD)
- Reforms for an Ageing Society (OECD)
- Elderly Health Links (PAHO)
- UNAIDS (UN)
- HIV/AIDS (World Bank)
- HIV/AIDS in the Developing World (Bureau of the Census)
- Annotated Bibliography of WHO Publications on HIV/AIDS (WHO)
- HIV/AIDS (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in number of cases and deaths.
Burden of Illness
- Macroeconomics and Health (WHO)
- Macroeconomics and Health: Investing in Health for Economic Development (12/01)
- Communicable/infectious Disease Links (WHO)
- Diseases: Prevention and Control Links (PAHO)
- Non-communicable Disease Links (WHO)
- Tropical Disease Links (WHO)
- Vaccine-preventable Disease Links (WHO)
- Cancer (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in death rates for a wide variety of cancers, by men and women.
- Malaria (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in number of cases and deaths.
- Tuberculosis (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in number of cases and deaths.
- Vaccination (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in percentage of children covered by specified vaccines.
Determinants of Health
- World Health Organization Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Closing the Gap in a Generation: Healthy Equity through Action on the Social Determinants of Health, Final Report, 2008. [Full Text]
- Environmental Themes (European Environmental Agency)
- Environmental Health (PAHO)
- European Union’s Policies–Environment (EU)
- Handbook of Global Environmental Policy and Administration (order info only)
Family and Reproductive Health
- Family and Reproductive Health Links (WHO)
- Health Dimensions of Sex and Reproduction (WHO)
- Maternal Health Links (PAHO)
- Reproductive Health Links (PAHO)
- Pregnancy and Birth (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in percentage of pregnant women receiving prenatal care and births attended by skilled attendant.
- The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition (US)
- American Petroleum Institute (US)
- Citizens for a Sound Economy (US)
- Climate Forecast Applications Network (CFAN, US)
- Cooler Heads Coalition (US)
- Environmental Defense Fund (US)
- European Environment Agency
- Global Warming Links (Junkscience.com)
- Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (US)
- Pace University School of Law Global Warming Central (US)
- The Science and Environmental Policy Project (US)
- World Climate Report (Greening Earth Society)
- Curry, Judith.
- Lewis, Nicholas and Judith Curry. The implications for climate sensitivity of AR5 forcing and heat uptake estimates. Climate Dynamics, September 2014. A summary of findings is here.
- Health Expenditures (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in health spending per capita, 1995-2010, health spending as % of GDP and other measures.
- Hospitals (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends in hospital beds per 1,000 and hospital average length of stay since 1960.
- Physicians and nurses (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends on physicians/1,000, practicing physicians/1,000 and nurses & midwives/1,000
- Malnutrition (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends related to malnutrition.
Poverty and Health
- Effects of Health Care on Mortality in OECD Countries (OECD)
- Health Inequalities and Health of the Poor (WHO)
- Poverty and Health (PAHO)
- Targeting Health Programs to Reach the Poor (WHO)
Water and Sanitation
- Water and Sanitation (HumanProgress.org). Detailed trends related to water and sanitation.